Arlington, VA (July 7, 2010) — NCB, a leading financial services company dedicated to serving cooperatives and NCB Capital Impact, NCB’s nonprofit affiliate recently held an organization-wide volunteer day where employees participated in a number of programs in communities throughout the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan area. Over 90 NCB workers volunteered their time to nine different organizations and events to benefit residents of the communities in which they live and work.
“At NCB we have long been dedicated to serving communities that need our support, and its been part of our corporate culture since the Bank was initially chartered over 30 years ago,” said Charles E. Snyder, President & CEO of NCB. “We are extremely proud of how many of our employees took the time to give back to individuals and communities through these various charities.”
NCB teams volunteered at the following organizations:
- Food and Friends which prepares, packages and delivers meals and groceries to more than 14,000 people living with HIV/AIDS, cancer and other life-challenging illnesses, received the assistance of 14 NCB employees who made deliveries throughout Washington, D.C., and select areas of Maryland and Virginia.
- Edward C. Mazique Parent Child Center which provides programs and services to 300 children and their families in the Washington communities had ten Bank employees volunteer to provide gardening services to beautify the center.
- Arlington Food Assistance Center is a non-profit dedicated to providing supplemental groceries to local residents received the support of 11 NCB employees who unpacked and distributed food donations.
- Brookside Nature Center located in Wheaton Regional Park provides park visitors with an opportunity to connect with the center’s natural and cultural resources. The Bank volunteers participated in checking the trails and center for trash and providing general maintenance, stream clean up and invasive plant removal.
- Computer C.O.R.E is an organization that provides training in computer skills, personal development and job search strategies to its students. The seven volunteers assisted program attendees with practice interviews and graduation preparations.
- Mary’s House provides housing and emotional support for women in crisis pregnancies. NCB employees spent their time volunteering to paint interior rooms and hallways in the facility.
- Samaritan Ministry is a non-profit organization dedicated to working with the homeless or those in need get the help to change their situations. Seven Bank employees worked to improved the building’s exterior through general clean up, gardening, hole digging and raking.
- Sarah’s Circle serves low income, independent seniors throughout Washington, DC by providing quality, affordable housing and support services. Volunteers who participated in this program interacted and socialized with residents during landscaping, vegetable gardening and the craft and entertainment activities.
- United Communities Against Poverty is dedicated to improving the quality for life for residents throughout Prince George’s county and the State of Maryland. NCB employees supported the organization by doing interior painting and organizing food donations.
As a Bank chartered to support cooperatives organizations nationwide, NCB has a long history of service to the communities in need. On a corporate level, its mission banking efforts of supporting underserved communities and cooperative expansion initiatives, which in 2009 totaled more than $391 million committed to low and moderate-income communities nationwide. The Bank also regularly recognizes and supports various charities its employees volunteer at in their personal time, through its annual Community Service Awards.
NCB is dedicated to strengthening communities nationwide through the delivery of banking and financial services, complemented by a special focus on cooperative expansion and economic development. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Bank has offices in Alaska, California, New York, Ohio and Virginia. To learn more, visit www.ncb.coop, NCB Financial Group on Facebook, or on Twitter at coopbanking.
NCB Financial Group (NCB) consists of National Consumer Cooperative Bank, a federally chartered cooperative corporation; its wholly-owned subsidiary NCB, FSB, a federally chartered savings bank; and, NCB Capital Impact, a 501(c)3 nonprofit affiliate. Loans and other financial services are provided by NCB, FSB and NCB Capital Impact. Deposit products and services are provided by NCB, FSB, which is a member FDIC. Each is a separate corporation within the NCB Financial Group.